Sunday, September 4, 2011

I miss this type of story being told in Hollywood

Okay, I know I'm late, but OMG The Help. This movie reminded me of why I first fell in love with story telling.



The ability to evoke emotion. To bring someone into your world. To have someone care about the characters in your story.

There aren't many stories that have moved me like this one: Imitation of Life, Children of Men, Rosewood, Passion of Christ are a few.

I was born and raised in Tennessee. As I watched the story, I remembered all of the reasons why I left Tennessee. As a child, although not to the degree captured in The Help, Tennessee was divided. What as white was white, and what was black was black. And everyone else had to pick.

I remember my mother pointing out walled up doors or fountains in the back of stores as she told me of how there was a time when blacks had to use them.

When I left Tennessee, I wasn't sure if I'd ever come back, but for all it's faults, I have to admit, I love the south. The majority of the people I've met in the south are kind and generous.

But, like anything, there are still a few small minded folks out there who strongly hold onto old world thoughts. This story: Mississippi hate killing is an extremely sad example.

Movies like The Help remind us of our past, and hopefully will stop us from making the same mistakes again. People, in so many small ways, can be quietly strong. And their strength can help power change.

I absolutely loved this movie, and the song "The Living Proof" was a beautiful way to end the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment