Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Recipes by a "foodie," who is not a chef








Eating, for me, is incredibly pleasureable. I absolutely love the smells, anticipation, and first bite. And dread the last one. Whether in a five star restaurant, a good friend or family members home, or a hole in the wall...if the food is good, then I am there.


For my book, Sweet Victory, a thread of the story involves cooking. I did a ton of research in preparation for it. As a result, I did a lot of "at home" testing. Burned a lot of pots. Definitely gained a few pounds.


I am not a chef by any stretch of the imagination, and I can affirm that it almost never looks like the picture...unless it's one from Rachel Ray's television show. She is my hero. Are there words that adequately describe Anthony Bourdain?


I'm working on some companion pieces for my book Sweet Victory, and let's just say I firmly respect every one that's ever baked a buttery silky sweet potato pie or grilled shrimp without drying it out. And exactly how do you get fish not to stick to aluminum foil when it's grilled? How many ways can you cook scallops?






I have a new found respect for the amount of patience, creativity, and artistic ability it takes to plate a wonderful meal that makes you want to come back for seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment