Monday, June 20, 2011

What do the holidays really mean?



Yesterday was Fathers' Day. What did it mean to you? For that matter, what do Mothers' Day, Valentine's Day, or any other holiday mean?


Every holiday, I find myself running around like crazy trying to figure out what to do? What to buy?


I saw a fabulous repeat of Frasier the other day. It was all about their father's birthday, and how the two of them try to "out do" each other year after year. To the point of driving themselves absolutely crazy.


Because I was recently laid off, my parents support and love has been so invaluable that the holidays don't seem to be big enough for me. There is no way I can repay them for all they've done for me over the past year.


Dinner at a five star restaurant or the neighborhood dinner seem comparable. A movie and a play are not exciting enough. Nothing is good enough.


Then, with the sweetest sincerity, my father doesn't seem to care. But, instead, is perfectly content with being surrounded by family: wife, children, and grandchildren. And neckbones. Do you know what neckbones are? Something I haven't eaten in nearly fifteen years or better.






Wow. Is life really that simple? Family. Good friends. Southern food.


Maybe that's why I love to write Romance. To indulge in the simplicity of life.


Tell me about your holiday.





No comments:

Post a Comment