Wednesday, March 20, 2013

#BookReview - Wicked Nights by @genashowalter

I've read books by Gena before, but it's been a while since I picked up anything.

The cover of this book stopped me in the store!  Walking through the aisles searching for something by one of my other favorite authors, I literally stopped when I saw the cover.

The way the woman is holding onto the man made my heart melt.  And the way he uses both is body and his wings to protect her makes me jealous :-)

I may be the only person in the world who hasn't read Gena's Lords of the Underworld series, so I knew nothing of Zacharel.  Immediately, I was interested in this man.  Because he seemed so alone.  You cared about him and his losses.  You cared for the team that he was charged with leading.  All of them equally broken and damaged in their own way.

Annabelle Miller, the heroine, again so alone in everything.  And to add to it, she's been locked away in an institution and drugged for years for a crime she didn't commit.

When I began the book, I thought, I know where this is going.  But, I'll stay on the ride.

Gena surprised me.  She'd dropped little clues, but I didn't catch one of them until she did the big reveal at the end!

And when she did, my heart opened up even more for Zacharel.

This book was not what I expected.  It had many elements we're all familiar with: alpha male, damsel in distress, angels and demons.  But, Gena used them slightly differently than I expected.

When I finished this book, I sat and thought about it.  If I were to have been in Zacharel's position, what choice would I have made, if tested in the same way?  Honestly, I don't think I would've made the same choice.  Guilt would've utterly consumed me.

If you are looking for a good read that has heart, action, and one or two surprises, this one will do it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment